Re: r8168b woes

I got a netboot version of the kernel installed, it was created using
the linux-source-3.2 from the unstable branch then using the
live-build scripts created the netboot.

It won't boot to completion, the last few messages I get are:
r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: unable to load firmware patch
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw (-2)
r8169 0000:02:00.0: eth0: link down
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
IP-Config: eth0 hardware address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX mtu 1500 DHCP RARP

However The image does work when running on a VirtualBox PXE Boot
image. So I'm still suspecting the network driver here, although I
can't get far enough into the boot process to actually look at dmesg.
I'll try recreating the image including the firmware-realtek package
see if that helps.

I'm not sure if I'm using the same kernel as with unstable since I'm
compiling from source. I'm not sure if the fix is a debian specific
patch or if the kernel image is supposed to have the fix included. I
was unable to get a netboot of sid working but I'm guessing that
live-debian is supposed to be based on stable.

I'll update as I learn more.

Jeffrey