Re: Should old and buggy bitcoin package removed from backports?

Hi Micah and others,

On 12-07-26 at 03:20pm, micah anderson wrote:

> I thought I sent an email about this a couple weeks ago, but searching
> my archives doesn't show it. So something must have ate it, and that
> explains why I never heard back. My apologies for being silent on
> this.

You write Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:02:04 -0400 with ID
87r4sbst2b.fsf@algae.riseup.net - but only discretely to rhonda and me,
apparently.

> Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> writes:
>
> > * Touko Korpela <touko.korpela@iki.fi> [2012-07-23 20:10:26 CEST]:
> >> Bitcoin package is removed from testing and backports version is
> >> old and have have security issues.
> >>
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2012/07/msg00022.html
> >
> >  I rather really would like to see an update for it happen, to be
> > honest.  I did ping micah a while ago but am not 100% anymore what
> > the final situation was.
> >
> >  Can you update us, Micah?  Do you really want to see it removed, or
> > are there troubles with newer versions of bitcoin to compile?
>
> I attempted to backport the newer version, but unfortunately due to
> some pieces of CDBS that I do not understand, I couldn't do the
> update. I bothered Jonas about the CDBS issues, and he attempted to
> help me figure them out. However, in the end he suggested that it was
> better to remove it from backports altogether.
>
> Jonas, I am wondering if you could attempt a backport, or perhaps give
> the reasons why you think it should be removed?

If you mean a build targeted backports.debian.org, I fail to see how I
can do that: it is for "recompiled packages from testing" and bitcoin is
not in testing.

Reason I think it should be removed from backports.debian.org is same:
bitcoin is not in testing so does not fit there either, IMO.

Reason it has not been high priority for me to get Bitcoin into testing
is that it does not feel stable to me: Inability to build for bigendian
architectures - with build warnings indicating it might be accidental
due to really only coding targeted x86; disk requirement in $HOME
apparently running wild (bug#677524); protocol changes rendering stable
code useless...

 - Jonas