Re: Difference between linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> By the way, could kernel developers switch to the more standard system?
> Why isn't the kernel backport using 3.2.0-2~bpo60+2 as version number?

You'll find that the kernel maintainers *are* using that version number
scheme:

$ apt-cache policy linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae:
  Installed: 3.2.18-1~bpo60+1
  Candidate: 3.2.18-1~bpo60+1
  Version table:
 *** 3.2.18-1~bpo60+1 0
        100 http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-
backports/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Your lesson in Debian version string comparison, while correct, doesn't
actually answer the question asked.

Kernel packages also carry information in their package name, which is what
the original poster was asking about. In particular, the maintainers have an
ABI string that helps track breakage of locally compiled out-of-tree
modules.

	http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelABIChanges

So sid current has kernel packages with names like:

	linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae

where "2" is the ABI number; this package has a version string of
"3.2.19-1". On the other hand, squeeze-backports kernel shown above has an
ABI of "0.bpo.2". I guess it's important to be able to identify backports
kernels easily and to track this as a backports ABI but yes, it does make
for a long and overly complex package name (not package version).

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott                 www.nanoNANOnano.net