Re: Difference between linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

On 06/05/2012 09:50 PM, SANCHEZ Jeremy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about a kernel backports, I want to install them on my
> company's server... But I have a choice between bpo1 and bpo2.
> I have check, and I see no difference except the kernel version...
> But I see about the updates, it's more frequent for the bpo2.....
>
> Does someone can me explain the difference please?
>
> I think bpo2 is updated for integrate new or recent firmware or other,
> but It's possible I'm wrong....:s
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeremy

There's a very important difference. Number 2 is bigger than number 1.
It might be stupid, but that's the answer to what you are looking for!
In other words: bpo.2 is the latest version.

Here's how it works. If you see in Debian, something like this:
5:1.2-3~bpo60+1

Then we have:
* 5 is the "epoch", it's there if there's a mistake with versions, then
we use that to solve issues
* 1.2 is upstream version (here, for Linux, that would be 3.2.0...)
* -3 is the Debian release number, that we increment each time in SID
* ~bpo60 tells you that this is a backport for Debian 6.0
* +1 would be the version of the backport.

Note that 1.2-3~<something> is lower than 1.2-3, so that when you
upgrade from stable to the next release of Debian, your backport package
gets updated as well.

Here, the kernel maintainers decided to use 0.bpo.1 instead of ~bpo60+1,
but that's the same idea: 3.2.0-0.<something> will be lower than 3.2.0-2
(which is what we have in SID / testing at the moment).

By the way, could kernel developers switch to the more standard system?
Why isn't the kernel backport using 3.2.0-2~bpo60+2 as version number?

Hoping this will help,
Cheers,

Thomas