Re: wake-on-lan with 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 and 8139too

I looked at the PSU and you are right. There is a 5Vsb line. I measured it when the computer was off and the voltage was steady around 5V. So I took the LAN cable and plugged into the onboard lan (this one doesn't support WOL) and the lights were blinking. But nothing was blinking when plugged in the PCI NIC. So I contacted the distributor for these cards and they confirmed that WOL doesn't work on my model. This was really unexpected as the chip is 8139D that has WOL support. So, I'm going to get a new NIC and maybe it will work. I still don't know why wakeup via PS/2, USB doesn't work. Thank you very much for ideas that helped me diagnose this problem!

Best Regards,
Andrej

2012/5/30 Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 15:53 +0200, R33D3M33R wrote:
> After close examination I discovered the problem might be a hardware
> related one. But it doesn't have anything to do with the NIC or
> Motherboard, but surprisingly, the PSU. The motherboard can only wake
> up/power up via the power button. Nothing else (PS/2 keyboard, USB
> keyboard, Mouse ...) seems to work. I did change the PSU recently, but
> I didn't expect something like this to be the problem. Also, the NIC
> has no light when the computer is on stanby/shut down. I think this
> could be it. So no WOL for me then :/.

When a PC is in S4 (suspend-to-disk) or S5 (soft-off) state the main
power supply lines will be turned off.  There should be a separate
standby power line within the connector from the PSU to the motherboard.
It's possible that this is faulty or not connected properly, or the PSU
can't supply enough current.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.