Re: LTS Kernel in Backports?

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 09:33 -0400, Andres Cimmarusti wrote:
> >> AFAICS kernel 3.2 is not considered as a LTS Kernel, see
> >> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable-status-01-2012.html.
> >> But Ubuntu 12.04 LTS relies on it.
> >>
> >> I wonder what is Debian's plan for the Squeeze backports
> >> repository in case?
> >
> > Linux 3.2 will be used in wheezy, so there will never be any later
> > upstream versions in squeeze-backports.
>
> I've always wondered why Debian doesn't pick up Longterm support
> kernels for their stable releases, as soon as they mature. I assume
> this has been discussed. Let me point out our current example:
>
> Squeeze released with LTS kernel 2.6.32 (first time this has ever
> happened). Wouldn't it be beneficial for Debian to include the new LTS
> kernel (3.0) in a point release (recommended for HW compatibility, but
> not forced) for Squeeze ?

No, new hardware support generally has to be available in the installer.
Therefore we have the options to:

1. Backport new hardware support
2. Update the default kernel (like SLE does now)
3. Offer 2 different kernel versions in the installer (further
complicating CD mastering and installation guides)

> I know we have backports, but the strict policy of backports only
> allows packages present in testing. This means we get kernel 3.2,
> which can be unreliable until it truly matures.
>
> I realize this idea implies more work for an already reduced number of
> people, but since it's an LTS kernel, like 2.6.32, shouldn't that make
> it a little easier?

Not really.

No-one is stopping you from installing 3.0.y.  'make deb-pkg' works
pretty well.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life would be so much easier if we could look at the source code.