Re: LTS Kernel in Backports?

>> AFAICS kernel 3.2 is not considered as a LTS Kernel, see
>> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable-status-01-2012.html.
>> But Ubuntu 12.04 LTS relies on it.
>>
>> I wonder what is Debian's plan for the Squeeze backports
>> repository in case?
>
> Linux 3.2 will be used in wheezy, so there will never be any later
> upstream versions in squeeze-backports.

I've always wondered why Debian doesn't pick up Longterm support
kernels for their stable releases, as soon as they mature. I assume
this has been discussed. Let me point out our current example:

Squeeze released with LTS kernel 2.6.32 (first time this has ever
happened). Wouldn't it be beneficial for Debian to include the new LTS
kernel (3.0) in a point release (recommended for HW compatibility, but
not forced) for Squeeze ?

I know we have backports, but the strict policy of backports only
allows packages present in testing. This means we get kernel 3.2,
which can be unreliable until it truly matures.

I realize this idea implies more work for an already reduced number of
people, but since it's an LTS kernel, like 2.6.32, shouldn't that make
it a little easier? also having a newer kernel would mean less
backporting.

But I guess this is not really a discussion for debian-backports

Andres