Re: kernel oops (__vma_link_list) in linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 20:19 -0600, Alan Schwartz wrote:
> I have been having intermittent lockups on my debian server running
> kernel linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae on a squeeze system from
> squeeze-backports. The hardware is a Dell Dimension 4600i with an  intel
> P4 processor. This time, I was logged in when it happened, and got this
> from syslog and the log file:
[...]

As this is the latest stable Linux version, you can report this upstream
(linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org).  You can also report it to the Debian
BTS, but it will probably need to be dealt with upstream anyway.

You should provide the package version number (e.g. 3.2.6-1) rather than
the ABI version (3.2.0-0.bpo.1) that's in the package name.

If you see other 'oops' messages with different function names then it
might be worth running a memory test (install memtest86+ and it'll be
added to the GRUB menu).  Sometimes hardware just happens to break
around the time of a kernel upgrade.  Of course you can probably rule
that out if you downgrade to an older version and the system is stable
again.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug