New X stack backport? (was: sandybridge second generation […])

goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au <goossens@rsc.anu.edu.au> (12/01/2012):
> Before I move away from a 'stable' system, I was hoping to get a little
> advice on managing this.  It is still not guarantted to work, but it seems
> the most likely solution.

Hi,

if you're not too much in a hurry, see last paragraph of [1], and [2].
With 1.12 coming up, we'll probably switch to it “some time soon” in
sid, and consider the current 1.11 server and the current drivers in sid
worth a backport, a bit before the 1.11→1.12 switch in sid.

 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2011/11/msg00396.html
 2. http://blog.mraw.org/2012/01/01/XServer_1.12RC1/

I'm still not too sure whether to replace the backported X stack
entirely or whether to publish a squeeze-backports repository on my own
website with source + binaries for i386 and amd64, so that people can
try 1.10 from squeeze-backports, or 1.11 from my repository if that's
not enough.

As usual, that includes server+drivers built against it+mesa (with
possibly some other libs).

Backports ftp-masters, any idea on that topic?

Mraw,
KiBi.