Re: how to make sure that Squeeze stays Squeeze?

    Hi!

* Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de> [2011-08-17 07:17:06 CEST]:
> Which packages should _not_ be backported to Squeeze and pushed
> to backports.debian.org?
>
> Surely some criteria exists, but it doesn't seem to be documented
> on http://backports-master.debian.org/. Please excuse if I am too
> blind to see.

 The criteria are mostly that if the backported package would
instabilize the system or require way too many libraries to get
backported it should be avoided.  It's not a hard written rule, we rely
on common sense here.  As an example, request-tracker4 did dump a fair
amount of perl related backports into the archive, though they shouldn't
interfere with the rest of the system too much, especially if you don't
install the request-tracker4 backport.

 If in doubt, especially when it comes to libraries that are more
central to the system, like glib or gtk, special care is to be taken
with respect to testing is expected from the backporter.  These are also
parts of the reason why we only want to have experienced debian
developers to take care of the backports.

 So no, we don't have a hard written rule about which packages are
off-limit, because then someone might come along and claim that the
package they backported causing havoc wasn't in that list, we rather
like to rely on the consciousness of the people uploading the backports.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda