Re: squeeze amavisd-new requires updated pax.. add to backports?

On May 31, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Cyril Lavier wrote:

> On 05/31/2011 11:39 PM, John Clements wrote:

>>> Hi John.
>>>
>>> I also think backporting pax would be a good idea.
>> Right, me too.
>>
>>> Maybe the issue is the same as reported on bug #317466 as apparently, your foo.tar weighs 4GB.
>> Per the transcript above, the tar file contains only one file of ten characters. The tar file itself is 10K. Very small. It's true that pax *thinks* that the file is large. If that's what you're saying, then perhaps we agree.
>>
> Yes, this is why I think this bug and your issue may have the same source.
>
> Also, I just tried on a Squeeze AMD64 system, and here is the transcript :
>
> cyril@darwin:~$ echo "oseutheth" > foo
> cyril@darwin:~$ tar cvf foo.tar foo
> foo
> cyril@darwin:~$ pax -v< foo
> foo      foo.tar
> cyril@darwin:~$ pax -v< foo.tar
> -rw-r--r--  1 cyril    cyril           10 Jun  1 00:02 foo
> pax: ustar vol 1, 1 files, 10240 bytes read, 0 bytes written.
>
> Apparently, there is no problem under amd64.
>
> So I think the fact that pax considers the "foo" file as 4GB makes him crash.
>
> I think you can report a bug for this issue (and you can include my transcript in it) to make this backport add more relevant, because of this bug.

To make sure I understand you: in debian, it's considered appropriate to file bug reports against earlier versions even when the reported bug is resolved by a later version? If that's correct, then I'll cheerfully submit the bug.

Many thanks,

John Clements