Re: How about a db 5.1.25 backport

On 22.5.2011, at 14:41, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:

> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I would say that you should wait for db5.1 version
>> [...]
>
>> Okay. If there are any major pending changes in libdb5.1*, waiting is
>> a very good idea.
> [...]
>
> Just for reference: I do not plan on backporting db5.1 anymore. Since I
> am going to improve exim's bdb handling I do not have a strong
> motivation for a db backport anymore

Cool, that's probably best, since if you can improve it so the bdb upgrades in exim can be binNMUed in the future, then it would be beneficial not only for backports, but for future release upgrades as well.

You can check the sks NMU I did for example script which is simpler version of script I have in src:cyrus-imapd-2.4.

I would be also willing to accept (or help writing) generic upgrade script which can be included in db-defaults package.

Also I plan to provide dbold-util package after wheezy (after we have only one "old" version...or maybe I could provide it now depending on db4.8 which prevails in squeeze). This dbold-util will provide links to old versions of utils...thus the generic upgrade script could just do:

dbold_recover ...
dbold_archive -l ...

db_upgrade ...
db_checkpoint ...
db_archive -d ...

I'll put more info in the wiki.d.o on that.

O.