nfs-kernel-server - can't get it to work due to nfs-common not configuring.

I installed kernel 2.6.38 (not gone to .39 yet due to the wider changes it needs) to fix a problem with my sound card. After doing so, I found that I could no longer access nfs served from the system.

I checked and found there was a backport of nfs-kernel-server too. I installed it and all dependencies but it fails to complete the installation... this is what happens:

Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1) ...
insserv: Service portmap has to be enabled to start service nfs-common
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nfs-kernel-server:
 nfs-kernel-server depends on nfs-common (= 1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1); however:
  Package nfs-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
 nfs-common
 nfs-kernel-server

rpcbind is running, so why is this happening? Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-debian@tinsleyviaduct.com