Re: dpkg_1.16.1.1~bpo60+1_i386.changes REJECTED

Hi all

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:24:07AM +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>
> > Most packages these days are done within some VCSes. Having a seperate
> > branch in there for the backports seems only natural. Being able to
> > cherry-pick the commit for such new features and unroll those specific
> > changes in said backports branch doesn't sound like magic to me.
>
> Yes. Packages can still be backported, just not that easily. Or they
> need to wait a release cycle (or a cycle plus a year) before picking
> up new features. Choose yours.

I think the reasons presented by the backports team are completely valid so I
guess it's only up to the package maintainer to decide if he/she wants to
implement features of newer dpkg versions in their packages. But I think this
decision deserves to be forwarded to the debian-devel and debian-mentors
mailing lists so people can decide on their own what they want to do (or in
the case of sponsored packages decline requests with a good reason).

Kind regards
Harald Jenny