Re: Installation error of nfs-common

Hi Roel and Bernhard--

[rearranged for chronological order]
On 09/27/2011 02:13 AM, Roel Hendriksen wrote:
> 2011/9/26 Bernhard Schmidt <berni@birkenwald.de>
>
>> installing nfs-common from squeeze-backports with rpcbind (instead of
>> portmap for IPv6 capability) breaks in the postinst step.
>>
>> Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1) ...
>> insserv: Service portmap has to be enabled to start service nfs-common
>> insserv: exiting now!
>> update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
>> dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
>>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  nfs-common
>>
>> The initscript has Required-Start $portmap, but the rpcbind initscript does
>> not provide this. I'm not aware of an OR statement in the LSB headers, so I
>> guess one option would be to backport rpcbind 0.2.0-5 which should fix that.
>
> I have the same experience when installing nfs-common from backports.
> Libtirpc1 is installed as a dependency, but portmap is uninstalled, which
> gives errors later on.

I produced this backport, and i've been able to install the packages
without a problem.  (i also use rpcbind instead of portmap):

0 bobtail:~# apt-get install --reinstall nfs-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/242 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 111346 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nfs-common 1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1 (using
.../nfs-common_1%3a1.2.4-1~bpo60+1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nfs-common ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1) ...
Stopping NFS common utilities: gssd idmapd.
Starting NFS common utilities: idmapd gssd.
0 bobtail:~#

hmm, it appears that having portmap in the removed/configfiles state
allows things to proceed, but if portmap is purged (no configfiles) then
the failure happens:

0 bobtail:~# dpkg -l portmap

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
rc  portmap        6.0.0-2        RPC port mapper
0 bobtail:~# apt-get purge portmap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  portmap*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 111345 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing portmap ...
Purging configuration files for portmap ...
0 bobtail:~# apt-get install --reinstall nfs-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/242 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 111345 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nfs-common 1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1 (using
.../nfs-common_1%3a1.2.4-1~bpo60+1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nfs-common ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1) ...
insserv: Service portmap has to be enabled to start service nfs-common
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while
processing:
 nfs-common
100 bobtail:~#

this is unfortunate; it appears to be related to

  http://bugs.debian.org/565201

which was solved after squeeze was released.

I think the solution should be to set up an extra insserv.conf.d
advisory, but it doesn't work for me:

0 bobtail:~# printf '$portmap\trpcbind\n' > /etc/insserv.conf.d/rpcbind
0 bobtail:~# apt-get install --reinstall nfs-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.4-1~bpo60+1) ...
insserv: Service portmap has to be enabled to start service nfs-common
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while
processing:
 nfs-common
100 bobtail:~#

perhaps Luk (cc'ed here) understands better what is going on or how to
fix it?

	--dkg