Re: "Automatic" backports

There is also some benefit to allowing a package to hit testing in advance of
backporting it.  At least glaring "will not install", "breaks system",
or "does not run as packaged" would stand a chance of getting caught before
being pushed to backports.

In fact, it might be a good idea to formalize the requirement, i.e. "Package
must have been available for download in testing for 72 hours prior to the
backport being available".

We know there will be bugs in testing packages.   If this were not the case,
we wouldn't have the testing structure and policy.