Re: linux-image-2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64: hibernate doesn't ever resume

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:06:42 -0400
Thomas Shanks <reportbug@tshanks.org> wrote:

> This grub config change works for me.  Thank you.

You're welcome. Glad it worked!

> What can be done to fix the bug of automatically enabled low-battery
> hibernations that don't resume properly (= loss of data/session)?

I don't know.
> Why isn't this hack needed for the squeeze non-bpo kernels?

For my desktop pc, neither hibernate or suspend worked when booted to
squeeze so that's why I installed the bpo kernel, hoping it would start
working. When that didn't fix it, I did some research and the info. I passed
along fixed hibernation. The funny thing is, I have an old laptop with the
original 2.6.32 for i386 squeeze kernel installed, and suspend works fine but
hibernate doesn't work at all. I can live with suspend working, though.

> What adds those lines to grub on wheezy?  Can it be backported to squeeze
> (stable or bpo)?

I'm booted to wheezy right now on the pc, and I checked the grub file
mentioned below, and it shows GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" only, yet suspend and
hibernate work. So there's something else at work. My wheezy desktop is xfce,
and I have pm-utils 1.4.1-8 and the xfce4-power-manager installed.

On the laptop I also have an xfce desktop, with pm-utils 1.3.0-3 as well as the
xfce4-power-manager and a package acpi-support 0.137-5 that may or may not
need to be installed.

So perhaps it's a difference in the pm-utils? I'm not sure...