Re: Bits from the Lintian maintainers

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

> > (Checking backported packages with the positively ancient
> > lintian in lenny is a PITA.)
>
>  So why not use lintian from lenny-backports or squeeze-backports then?

Their set of checks does not match the “base distribution”,
for example, although I don’t remember whether that was for
etch or lenny, the newer lintian wants to add a dependency
on dpkg >= something | install-info, which isn’t appropriate
(satisfiable without backporting either of them) for the old
“base distribution”.

Also, a vendor profile could take backports-specific checks
(like version numbering, suite naming, that these two match)
and warn people to keep the diff small (e.g. not lower the
Standards-Version). It could even not warn about unused over-
rides so backporters need not drop the overrides from the
package in testing for their backports, if they no longer
apply (but add some of their own, if needed).

Just curious,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH