Re: How about a db 5.1.25 backport

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 21:42, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> * Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> [2011-04-17 13:46:58 CEST]:
>> I am considering uploading a backport of berkeley db 5.1.25. Packages
>> in sid are (supposed to be) switching from 4.8 and later to 5.1, which
>> is not available in squeeze, making backports hard.
>
>  It makes backports hard in the way that to work around the issue you
> raised the backport will require a versioned dependency on libdb-dev. If
> that's clear for everyone involved then it's fine with me, but I fear
> the issue will be moved to a different level.

The other solution would be to approach each individual DD and work on
solution for each backported package without backporting db5.1.

It's true that backporting yet another version of Berkeley DB to
squeeze (fourth) is not optimal solution since I am trying to cut down
the number of versions in each stable debian release.

Optimal solution would be either:

a) add automatic support for upgrading the Berkeley DB to the package
b) add a mechanism to keep information about which version of Berkeley
DB was used to compile the package in some external file like
cyrus-common does (/usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.txt) and comparing
that to the active Berkeley DB type
(/usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active) + providing a script for
dump/load or upgrade-in-place.

Anyway Andreas what package do you have in mind for backporting?

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
http://blog.rfc1925.org/