Re: backports unattended upgrades?

> add "Debian Backports lenny-backports" to
> Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
>
> Don't know if it handles the whitespace in "Debian Bacports".

Alright. I half-lied and I can't test if it works just yet because I'm
running squeeze.

I want to raise an issue. This might annoy some, but I think it needs
to be said: If you look in the file
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades you'll see the following
snippet:

Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
        "${distro_id} stable";
        "${distro_id} ${distro_codename}-security";

It would be really easy to add backports to this list (for example:
"Debian squeeze-backports", or "${distro_id}
${distro_codename}-backports", this would also be useful for Ubuntu,
since they also have backports repositories) if it wasn't for the the
way the Release file in the repository is configured

If you look at the Release file in the Debian backports repo
(http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/dists/squeeze-backports/Release)
you'll see lots of redundancies:

Origin: Debian Backports
Label: Debian Backports
Suite: squeeze-backports
Version: label=Debian Backports
Codename: squeeze-backports

Is it really necessary to have the word backports in ALL the fields?
Now the important parts for unattended-upgrades are ORIGIN and SUITE
or CODENAME. I think it is rather unnecessary to have Origin set to
"Debian Backports", especially now that it has been integrated
officially with the other Debian repositories. It should be "Debian".
Furthermore, Codename should be set to "Squeeze" and version to "6.0"
(same treatment with lenny)

Compare to the Debian squeeze main repo release file
(http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/Release):

Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Suite: testing
Codename: squeeze

Or, better related, the Ubuntu lucid-backports repo
(http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid-backports/Release)

Origin: Ubuntu
Label: Ubuntu
Suite: lucid-backports