Re: Backport latest kernel (2.6.32-5) not working (for me)

Quoting "Mauro Condarelli" <MC5686@mclink.it>:

Sorry if I did a breach in netiquette, but, while I do agree steps for installing NVIDIA driver have no place here, I do remind You I posted here because a very basic installation of a standard debian system broke down simply installing the latest kernel from Backports (no other changes).
IMHO this is a Backports bug.
None tried to tackle this to-date.
A workaround was suggested instead.
I have no interest in using the proprietary drivers.
I *do* have interest in using a fairly recent kernel (WiFi card support).

What is the suggested fix?

I had a similar problem. I had to upgrade my kernel due to a problem with USB support, and also needed workable nvidia drivers.

The fix was to obtain and build version 185.18.36 of the nvidia drivers, from snapshot.debian.org, using the normal method for simple backporting.

I cannot promise that such will work for you, nor remember exactly what is required, but it worked for me.

I'm not at all sure a formal backport is appropriate, but I hope this helps.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-debian@tinsleyviaduct.com