Re: Subversion in backports

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:11:39 (CET), Freddy Spierenburg wrote:

> Hi Michael and Reinhard,
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:36:45PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> AFAIR backporting subversion was rather straight forward to do.
>
> Rather straight forward was not really the case, but I have
> something that works for me.
>
> I had to disable Java-support (javahl), since that brought me
> into a dependency hell. The dependency on gcj-jdk needed me to
> backport the gcc4.4 compiler too and I didn't want to go there.

perhaps backports.org admin can comment on how to solve that?

dropping javahl support does not seem an option to me, as this would
most likely break the subclipse plugin (subversion support for eclipse).
I'd rather stay on the older version than breaking that, as our site
uses eclipse quite a lot.

>> if you need something sponsored, feel free to pass me a link to
>> your source package; I'll consider it then.
>
> I do not know if you are interested in a not complete Subversion
> backport. But to help others out that might have the same trouble
> I have included a small patch and a brief description of what I
> did:
>
>   I first backported libserf-0-0, which was a trivial task. It
>   simply built without any trouble at all.
>
>   Next I removed the gcj-jdk dependency from debian/control and
>   changed the dependency to libdb4.8-dev into libdb4.6-dev. The
>   last thing I did was setting ENABLE_JAVAHL to 'no' in
>   debian/rules.

I'm not sure if that follows the backports.org policy. In any case, I
think this should be discussed more widely.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4