bacula-director-pgsql install issues on Lenny+backports

I am running Debian Lenny with backports.

After running bacula with pgsql on vanilla Lenny, I decided to
upgrade.  That failed, due to disk space running out during
conversion.  Oops.  It was unrecoverable due to some tables being
converted and not others.  I gave up on that.

I then ran apt-get remove --purge on all pgsql and bacula packages and
removed all files from /var/lib/postgresql/.

I installed postgresql...

apt-get install -t lenny-backports postgresql-8.3 postgresql-client
postgresql-client-8.3

And then...

apt-get install -t lenny-backports bacula-common-pgsql
bacula-director-pgsql

It asked if I wanted to create a database with dbconfig, and I said
yes.  The process failed with this info:

---- 8< ----
An error seems to have occurred while installing the database. If it's
of any help, this was the error encountered:

ERROR: new encoding (SQL_ASCII) is incompatible with the encoding of
the template database (UTF8) HINT: Use the same encoding as in the
template database, or use template0 as template.

At this point, you have the option to retry or abort the operation. If
you choose "retry", you will be prompted with all the configuration
questions once more and another attempt will be made at performing the
operation. "retry (skip questions)" will immediately attempt the
operation again, skipping all questions.  If you choose "abort", the
operation will fail and you will need to downgrade, reinstall,
reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to continue
using it.  If you choose "ignore", the operation will continue,
ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common.

Error installing database for bacula-director-pgsql.  Retry?
---- 8< ----

Sadly this tells me nothing.  What do I do now?

Version numbers are included below.  I am leaving the install at the
prompt, if anyone needs any more info.

Can someone help?

-Bart

-----

# dpkg -l | grep -e bacula -e postgresql -e dbconfig-common
ii  bacula-common                   5.0.2-1~bpo50+1          network backup, recovery and verification -
ii  bacula-common-pgsql             5.0.2-1~bpo50+1          network backup, recovery and verification -
ii  bacula-director-common          5.0.2-1~bpo50+1          network backup, recovery and verification -
iF  bacula-director-pgsql           5.0.2-1~bpo50+1          network backup, recovery and verification -
iU  bacula-doc                      2.4.4-1                  Documentation for Bacula
ii  dbconfig-common                 1.8.39                   common framework for packaging database appl
rc  postgresql-8.3                  8.3.7-0lenny1            object-relational SQL database, version 8.3
ii  postgresql-8.4                  8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          object-relational SQL database, version 8.4
ii  postgresql-client-8.4           8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.4
ii  postgresql-client-common        111~bpo50+1              manager for multiple PostgreSQL client versi
ii  postgresql-common               111~bpo50+1              PostgreSQL database-cluster manager
ii  postgresql-contrib              8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          additional facilities for PostgreSQL (suppor
ii  postgresql-contrib-8.4          8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          additional facilities for PostgreSQL
iU  postgresql-doc                  8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          documentation for the PostgreSQL database ma
iU  postgresql-doc-8.4              8.4.5-1~bpo50+1          documentation for the PostgreSQL database ma

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/