Re: empathy backports

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 06:41:02 +0100
Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:

> * Andres Salomon <dilinger@collabora.co.uk> [2009-11-03 20:19:20 CET]:
> > On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:24:32 +0100
> > Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
> > > And I'm not sure if I will accept them. There are too many more or
> > > less critical libs inside. Maybe I have time to test them all at
> > > the weekend.
> >
> > If bpo has a policy of not accepting certain packages, it would be
> > good to have that policy published on the backports.org webpage so
> > that contributors don't waste their time backporting stuff that's
> > never to be accepted.
>
>  Actually, I'm neither really convinced wether dropping 23 new
> packages[1] really is needed, especially when amongst them is stuff
> like glib and dbus and a whole bunch of gstreamer. Did you try wether

Some of them are needed only for building, and not actually at
runtime.  A fair number of them aren't in lenny _at all_, so of course
they're needed.

farsight2, gupnp-igd, libass, libdca, libnice, and telepathy-farsight
aren't in lenny at all. I fail to see why there's any question about
those. libcanberra's version in lenny is old enough (and it was a new
enough package then) that it might as well not have been there, either.

The telepathy and empathy packages are what I actually care about, so
of course they're going to be backported.  That's 11 packages (12 if
you count libcanberra) that are absolutely essential.

> the versions available in stable actually would be working and you
> just would need to reduce the Build-Depends? Did you try to keep it

Of course.  However, there have been API additions to glib/gtk, and a
number of packages are making use of the new API.

> to a minimal impact? I'm not really sure about that, to be honest...

A bunch of the packages
that aren't in lenny (farsight2 related stuff) require a newer
gstreamer.  Telepathy adds voip support, so it's not surprising that
various multimedia codecs are necessary (and not old older gst
releases, as new stuff gets added).  I'm not talking about just
backporting a specific application here, I'm backporting an entire
framework (telepathy).  I *could* just backport the UI, but that's
completely uninteresting; I'd happy with the lenny version if I'm
just looking for an IM client.  I want google video chat support, etc.

Not only did I try every build w/ lenny versions of things first, I
found a number of FTBFS situations due to glib/gtk not having a
high-enough versioned build-dep (ie, #550427, #550406).  So yes, things
like gstreamer and glib/gtk really are needed.

I want a fully functional Empathy in lenny rather than a
crippled half-working version, and that's going to require new
packages.