a perhaps horrifying question...

Is there any way to 'forward port' php4 into Debian Lenny?

Do you know anyone who has done this? Are there packages available?

Backstory to this nightmare; we are a small company which has been developing web applications for many years.

Most of these were developed in php4.

We do not have the resources to upgrade all of these to php5 in a reasonable amount of time. In fact we are unlikely to be able to upgrade most of these before the end of life of Etch. When that happens we will be left with servers with no security updates. I understand that there are no security updates for php4 but the server environment is more than just this one package.

Since php4 was removed from Debian Lenny these servers would have to stay with Etch for the foreseeable future which is not good.

As sole sysadmin here I would like to be able to upgrade servers to the latest supported version without breaking the applications.

Even if php4 is not being maintained thats no reason not to maintain the rest of the server!

Hoping you can help...

Thanks!

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.