Re: Why are backports of Squeeze packages in etch-backports?

* Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> [090302 15:02]:
> I'm using the package reprepro from etch-backports on an Etch box
> which is due to be upgraded to Lenny.
>
> Until recently the reprepro version in etch-backports was a backport
> from Lenny (3.5.2-5~bpo40+1). But since a few days, there's the
> version from Squeeze (3.8.2-1~bpo40+1) in etch-backports.
>
> Why that? I thought that only packages from Lenny (independent of
> Lenny being testing or stable) can make it into etch-backports.

The release announcement for lenny-backports said that sqeeze packages
would now also be allowed for etch-backports.

> Having backports of Squeeze packages in etch-backports doesn't really
> make a dist-upgrade from Etch to Lenny easier.

Upgrading to the version in lenny-backports should be an possible
upgrade path. (I made sure I uploaded it to lenny-backports first,
but then forgot that there is a separate NEW queue for it, so it
did only arrive later, though not that long).

Does it cause any problems on dist-upgrade? I'd have guessed that the
new etch-backports version should also run fine on a lenny system
(though using an older libdb4.3) and not cause any issues during
dist-upgrade (apart from not being updated).

Sorry for the inconvinience,
	Bernhard R. Link