Re: backports for bzr and bzr-svn

I'm coming a bit late to the party, but I recently had the need for
bzr-svn in etch and recompiled it from testing. So basically I have an
bzr-svn package ready for uploading to bpo, but found this already
discussed on this mailing list:

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:
> BTW I *believe* that, according to backports.org policies, bzr-svn
> should not be backported since the package from testing installs just
> fine in stable once bzr is available.

Yes, that's what's written on [1]:

# Reconsider if the package can be installed directly from testing without
any recompilation and handled via pinning

However, I don't think it is obvious at all. At least not for me as a
DD, and I'd expect even less for an less experienced packager or a mere
debian stable user, which, I believe, are the targetted audience of
backports.org.

I see the following options:

 1. Upload bzr-svn anyway according to the bpo policy
 2. Copy source+binary from lenny to etch-backports
 3. do nothing and leave the users in the cold [2]

My vote (condorcet-like) for this would be: 2 > 1 > 3.

how do you think about this?

[1] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute
[2] read: leave it to them to find out about the situation.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4