inofficial backports of linux 2.6.25, nvidia drivers and e2fsprogs

Hi!

Last week during a workshop I backported linux 2.6.25, nvidia drivers and
e2fsprogs. You can them at

http://people.teamix.net/~ms/backports/etch-backports/

in case you want to play around with it.

These are highly inofficial and not meant as a replacement for official
backports. I didn't bother to sign them nor to build them in a chroot and for
the kernel and nvidia stuff I didn't even bother to add a changelog entry.
Also e2fsprogs is not official in anyway, I probably should have used some
descriptive ~backports40 than the official ~bpo40 ending.

*Thus any of these packages may explode when you try to install them.*

That warning said I and some students used these packages on a VMware guest
and on a physical (AMD 64) machine. But we only tested the 32 bit i386
version of the kernel package.  The dependencies appear reasonable to me as
far as I looked.

As a little goodie you can try ext4 by using these packages:

- you need a kernel and e2fsprogs
- modprobe ext4dev (might be done automatically by mount)
- mkfs.ext3 -E test_fs /dev/some_device
- mount /dev/some/device /mnt/some_mountpoint
- or even better: mount -o extents /dev/some/device /mnt/some_mountpoint, but
beware AFAIK after mounting with extents the filesystem is not accessible via
ext3 anymore

You can also set the test_fs flag via tune2fs somehow, but be careful with -o
extents then ;-). Better only use it on test data anyways.

No warranties whatsoever ;-).

Ciao,
--
Martin Steigerwald - team(ix) GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90