Re: [wnpp] removal of postgresql-8.2 has been requested!

* Mathias Behrle <expi311203@gmx.de> [2008-06-03 02:23:04 CEST]:
> * Gerfried Fuchs am Thu, 29 May 2008 10:26:36 +0200:
> >  That means that there won't be any further update to the postgresql-8.2
> > package in etch-backports. If you still use it, please upgrade to the
> > postgresql-8.3 package. slony1 in backports already uses postgresql-8.3
> > so there shouldn't be much of a reason to not switch.
>
> There are still other applications, that are not yet able to deal
> appropriately with the stricter type casting of postgresql 8.3 (i.e.
> Horde framework). For users of those applications this decision comes a
> bit early.

 I am not sure if I understand you properly. I don't see horde3 in
backports and I would expect that the version of horde3 in stable is
able to cope with the postgresql-8.1 package in stable. What bigger
advantages do you get when using postgresql-8.2 for those instead?

 Besides, I would hope that horde3 from testing/unstable should be
able to cope with postgresql-8.3, you might just need to find someone
who would maintain the package for backports to cope with that problem,
if you don't want to stick with complete stable for that environment.

 I am sorry about such corner cases, but I am not willing to track
postgresql-8.2 completely on my own, and especially not for
backports.org exclusively. My personal interest in that respect is
rather low, but not too low that one might not be able to raise
appropriate "motivation" for me to still follow the efforts in that
area.

 In the meantime the package got removed from unstable, just for the
record. It is still in testing ... and in backports. Alexander Wirt
mailed me that he filed a removal request for backports so that no new
installs for an unmaintained package (for which an upgrade path exists)
happen, it doesn't seem to have got processed yet, though.

 So long,
Rhonda