Request for backport of snmpd for etch

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are any plans for backporting snmpd for etch.

The current version 5.2.3-7 from the Net-SNMP Package has problems
with not inheriting user and group rights.

Problem description:
I've written a small perl script log-snmp which reads some statistics
from log files, e.g.:
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 192427 2008-01-13 14:24 /var/log/mail.log

This script is called from snmpd as a pass_persist extension:
pass_persist .1.3.6.1.4.1..... /usr/local/sbin/log-snmp

snmpd runs as user snmp and group root(0). The effective and real
user/group IDs are snmp and root when running this log-snmp script.
But this does not change when the user snmp is added to the group adm
(useradd snmp adm). The same problem is also described in the thread
at
http://www.mail-archive.com/net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg15127.html

There exists a patch which addresses this issue, see
http://net-snmp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/net-snmp/trunk/net-snmp/agent/snmpd.c?r1=16375&r2=16437&pathrev=16437

The only workaround now is to run snmpd as root (as it is done in
sarge where this script works w/o any problems) but I'd like to avoid
this less then optimal solution.

Regards,

--
Bernd Holzinger