Re: Lenny backports

Quoting Alexander Wirt (formorer@formorer.de):
> Norbert Tretkowski schrieb am Dienstag, den 16. Dezember 2008:
>
> > Am Sonntag, den 14.12.2008, 08:59 +0100 schrieb Christian Perrier:
> > > So, I wonder whether lenny backports could be opened now, for things
> > > that are in the same situation.
> >
> > The original plan was to open lenny-backports when lenny is released.
> Current policy is that after lenny is releaseѕ everything which is in testing
> (aka squeeze) can be uploaded. Would this be sufficient for samba?

That will help.....providing samba 3.3.* to users of lenny...after
lenny is released.

However, I would need to provide two things:

- samba 3.2.x with x>5 for *current* users of lenny or unstable,
  before lenny is released

- further  versions of samba 3.2.x for users of lenny even if we have
  the 3.3.* releases in unstable, after lenny is released

It means two things:
- opening lenny-backports *before* the release of lenny
- allow having different versions in lenny-backports wrt unstable
  after the release of lenny

The first proposal is indeed a way to partially address the issue of
"long freezes" which is currently discussed in -devel....by providing
up-to-date versions of software in a place that's more official than a
random developer's home page.

(of course, I'm aware of experimental, here, but I can't use it for
samba because of the work on 3.3.* packages there...)