Re: What about dist-upgrade from etch-backports to lenny ?

Emmanuel Kasper schrieb am Dienstag, den 30. September 2008:

> Hello
> I read from the backports FAQ,
>
> >A: In general, backports.org only has backports made from testing but
> with reduced version numbers (apt considers ~ lower than -), therefore
> the upgrade path from sarge-backports to etch is saved. However, there
> are a few backports only which are made from unstable (security updates
> and the following exceptions: firefox, kernel, openoffice.org, xorg).
>
> >If you do not use one of these exceptions, you can safely upgrade to
> etch. If you use one of these exceptions, set the pin-priority (see man
> apt_preferences) temporarily to 1001 for all packages from etch, and you
> should be able to do a safe dist-upgrade too.
>
> Is this policy still enforced, ie if I don't use firefox, kernel, & alii
> from etch-backports, I can safely upgrade to lenny without using
> apt-pinning ?
Yes this should still be the case. But unfortunatly I can't follow any upload
to bpo, so if somebody uploaded a package with a higher version there is a
problem. But I really hope that this isn't the case.

Alex

--
Alexander Wirt, formorer@formorer.de
CC99 2DDD D39E 75B0 B0AA  B25C D35B BC99 BC7D 020A