Re: Postgresql 8.3

El Martes, 5 de Febrero de 2008, Gerfried Fuchs escribió:
> * Adrián Ribao Martínez <aribao@gmail.com> [2008-02-05 14:23:33 CET]:
> > yesterday was released postgresql 8.3, with a lot of new features and
> > improvements.
>
>  That's a pretty quick request - usually it should be given some time to
> stabilize. But given that Martin is tracking it pretty well himself and
> switch to pg 8.3 RC as default already in unstable I think it might
> still be a reasonable request anyway.
>
> > The version 8.3 RC2 is already in testing and 8.3.0-1 in SID.
>
>  I do the backports of 8.2 already and am aware of it - and well, I
> thought it doesn't make much sense to upload a RC already, even if I'm
> aware that Martin is doing a great job here.
>
> > RC2 was the last release candidate, I have already installed it at
> > home and it works ok.
>
>  Thanks, will give it a shot.
>
> > Now I'd like use 8.3 in my Debian etch server, so I hope you guys can
> > include it soon in the backports. Is there any plan about that?
>
>  I have it on my agenda, just not with an urgent priority. Are the new
> features and improvements really that stunning to rush it in?
>
>  So long,
> Rhonda

Well, actually, they are. Full-text included in the core and good speed
improvements are good reasons, but there are a lot more:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/features83.html
I might say, this is one of the most wanted releases. It's been several months
testing the 8.3 version with betas and RCs, and they made a great job.

IMHO the features and improvements are really really good.

Thank you.

--
Adrián Ribao Martínez