Re: Backport of debhelper

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:

> I saw that there is now a new debhelper package version 6 in SID. I have
> been told by my sponsor to have a dependency to it, and set my
> compatibility level to 6.

Your sponsor is giving you bad advice, IMO.  Unless you actually need a
change introduced with debhelper 6, all that increasing the version does
is make it unnecessarily difficult for people to backport the package.  I
never increase the compatibility levels on my packages until the new
debhelper makes it to stable.

> This is quite ok, but I need to maintain my package for Etch. I did a
> quick backport of debhelper from SID on my laptop, and it doesn't seems
> to be causing any trouble.
>
> So, as you might expect: would it be possible to have a backport of the
> debhelper package in www.backports.org so I can bump the dependency of
> it into all the package that I maintain, and still be able to compile
> them for Etch? Thanks in advance.

Unless the package really needs one of the new features of debhelper, it's
probably better to just reduce the compat level and debhelper dependency
when backporting it to etch.