Problem with kernel 2.6.22-3-686 and aic79xx / sd_mod

Hi,

I don't know if this is a known problem or maybe I just screwed
something up without knowing, but I was wondering if anyone has
experienced something similar.

Yesterday I installed linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 from Bpo, on a machine
with an aic79xx SCSI controller with 5 disks, using 2 md devices. The
machine would not boot using this kernel.

The problem is basically, that even though the aic79xx driver reports
all the disks, no SCSI disks were attached, so no sda, sdb, etc.
existed. While in initramfs, /proc/partitions was empty. As a
consequence, the md driver couldn't find any partitions to scan and no
md devices could be assembled.

I now realise this could be due to 'sd_mod' not being loaded, although I
figure I shouldn't have to load this explicitly. Perhaps this is a
problem with initramfs-tools (0.85h), in which case I apologize for
posting here.

However, standard Etch kernel 2.6.18-5-686 boots without problems, with
an initrd image from the same run.

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman