Re: Backport of tor

Hello,

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> I do not use Tor myself, so if there is something specific to Tor in this
> situation, I do not know about. However, I do not understand why Tor cannot be
> uploaded to backport.
>   It is fine for you (Peter) to provide latest version on your site.
> However, backport seems to be more and more used. And it can be good
> to find here a 'etch' version of software accepted in 'lenny' (ie with
> at least 10 days without RC bugs, ...)

In an ideal situation, the package in backports.org would be maintained
by the Debian maintainer. In this case the maintainer *is* providing a
backport --- except that it is not at the backports.org URL.

Moreover, putting a package-specific entry in your /etc/apt/sources.list
is one of the ways (even the recommended way?) of using backports.org. So
putting a package-specific entry given by a different URL is not all
that different.

The main issue is how one would go about finding a backport. I
couldn't find the backport of "tor" because I went about searching for
the backport via backports.org rather than search via the upstream
for "tor".

Had I done the latter, I would surely have found Peter's package.

Regards,

Kapil.