Re: Pinning openoffice

Sebastian Harl schreef:
>> When an updated package becomes available on backorts.org, will it be updated
>> with an
>>
>> aptitude update/upgrade?
>
> Well, basically yes. The currently installed version (in that case) has the
> same priority than the new version available from backports.org and thus will
> be upgraded.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, packages from Bpo
have a priority of 1 by default, while currently installed packages have
a priority of 100. An automatic upgrade will therefore not take place,
unless you give Bpo a priority of 100 or more.

Something like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 120

should do it.

> However, if the new version requires new dependencies from backports.org
> (which could be satisfied from Etch so far) those will not be installed
> automatically. You can work around this by doing
>
>   aptitude/apt-get install -t etch-backports <package>
>
> again. You will run into the same problem if you use pinning though.

I think aptitude _will_ resolve the dependencies as needed, but a
standard 'upgrade' command, the packages that have unfulfilled
dependencies will be held back.

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman