n00b question about mysql backport

I'm a complete n00b regarding linux and installing so please pardon me if this is a dumb question.

I'm running Debian stable and mysql (4.x I believe). My main user now requires mysql 5.x

I've used apt-get or aptitude for all my installs to try to keep my system in a somewhat sane manner and want to avoid manually installing things (I could manually download and install mysql 5.x but I just don't think everything would be right if I did that).

I only see mysql-server in the backports (e.g. no mysql-client). So my two questions are:

1) is installing just that sufficient to bring mysql up to 5.x on my system? Don't I need -client and libraries or other items too? 2) do I use apt-get to do the backport install and if not, does it do it in a manner such that the install/package or other tools on my system will be correctly aware of what I've installed?

Thanks for any help