[OT] Debian packages search tool

Hi,

Please forgive me for posting this off-topic message.

In the past, I have been using http://www.apt-get.org/ to find packages that are not in the official Debian archives, and I guess many of us have, since the site is often linked to on Debian related websites.

Unfortunately, it seems like the site is no longer in service, with the last update being from mid-2006. I have been looking for an alternative, but so far, I haven't found any, so I decided to build one myself.

The first attempt is at http://www.debian-database.org/

Currently, there are 4040 unique packages in my database, from 17 different repositories (where main, contrib, non-free count as 3), among which are Backports.org, debian-multimedia, debian-unofficial and a few others.

Please feel free to give the site a test drive. I welcome any feedback anyone might have, about the site and the way it works, but also about the initiative and the (lack of) need for it. But please, DO NOT follow up on this message on the backports-users mailing list. My personal mailbox is wide open for any ideas.

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman