Re: amd64: subversion_1.3.2-5~bpo1 broken(?)

Daniel Franke wrote:
> > But I suspect that we will find something different there.
>
> $> /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb file:/scratch/install/release-amd64 sarge main
> deb file:/scratch/install/release-amd64 sarge(i386) main
>
> deb file:/scratch/install/ql-amd64 sarge ql ql.server
> deb file:/scratch/install/ql sarge(i386) main ql

Uhm...  What are those "sarge(i386)" lines doing there?

Basically it looks to me that you are getting what you told the
machine to do.  You told it that it could use i386 packages.  So it is
using i386 packages!  I am thinking that you are lucky that something
critical to the machine booting was not upgraded in this way are are
fortunate to have found this problem on something non-critical such as
the svn command.

Although I am not familiar with this configuration I feel certain that
it is the root of your problem.  Remove those lines and I am confident
that your problem will be solved.  After doing this I would inventory
the installed packages and see what else has already been installed
cross architecture and then decide how to deal with it.
apt-show-versions would probably be useful in this context.

> deb http://www.backports.org/debian sarge-backports main contrib non-free

> The last line was entered as descibed here:
> http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2006/09/installing-subversion-132-using.html

Yes, that looks fine.

> Does this help?

Yes.  I think it points out the problem precisely.

Bob