Re: now requesting help as well... :-)

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 08:11:26PM -0400, Larry Everson wrote:
> This is what I got from another mail.
>
> apt-get install expects a package name as parameter. You specified a
> filename (which contains the package name, but that does not count).
> How to find package names is described in the [0]APT HOWTO.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-search.en.html#s-cache

Yeah, i know about it, but:

# apt-get install openoffice.org-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  openoffice.org-base: Depends: java-gcj-compat but it is not installable or
                                j2re1.4 but it is not installable or
                                java2-runtime but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
# apt-cache search java-gcj-compat
# apt-cache search j2re1.4
# apt-cache search java2-runtime

> After I read it, I was able to do the following and it worked.
>
> apt-get install openoffice.org-base
> apt-get install openoffice.org-calc
> apt-get install openoffice.org-common
> apt-get install openoffice.org-core
> apt-get install openoffice.org-draw
> apt-get install openoffice.org-gnome
> apt-get install openoffice.org-help-en-us
> apt-get install openoffice.org-impress
> apt-get install openoffice.org-math
> apt-get install openoffice.org-writer

Doesn't work for me. Good that it worked for you though! :)

> I thought that I should be able to do a single install rather than
> asking for each one separately. However, it didn't take long and it
> worked for me.

Aye, "apt-get -t sarge-backports openoffice.org" should do the trick; it
doesn't though. Apparently the new openoffice.org-packages depend on a
Java-package which doesn't exists in the repository.
Could you do me a favour and check if you got one of those packages installed:
# dpkg -l java-gcj-compat
# j2re1.4
# java2-runtime

If one of those packages appears as installed you had more luck than i had.

Thanks anyway,
Cheers, Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it