Re: KDE backporting?

Merry Christmas!

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 00:21, Daniel Baumann wrote:

> Assumed that:
>
>   * either etch is not released before christmas,
>
>   * or etch is release before christmas, and bpo keeps accepting
>     sarge-backports until the security support runs out for sarge,
>
> I will do a backport of the latest KDE to sarge in the
> 'christmas-to-new-years-day'-hollidays.

Daniel: are these plans still on?

Etch is not released. Moreover, this mail
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00008.html seems to
mean that up to etch on a home main desktop system is not advisable at the
moment (file system corruption seems to exist, optimal upgrade order on an
installed system is not determined). So the backport seems quite needed.

And yes, I need it too - not just "to have the latest". I have hit a bug in
KMail some time ago (mail retrieval thread hanging), and I would like to
deep-dive into this if it shows up in the latest release.

There may well not be a KDE 3.5.6 or 3.6 - the team seems to have concentrated
on 4.0, which will not meet the stability requirements of the typical Debian
user for quite a long time. The bleeding-edgers use Gentoo ;) So the backport
may have longterm value, for the kind of people who really don't like going
to a new core distro version. Sarge is, after all, still surprisingly good
for its age!

I would be most eager to test/report as needed. I now have bandwidth enough
for getting test versions and updates when necessary.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik