Proper source for bpo kernel?

Hello,

I have tried installing nvidia drivers the nvidia way on the bpo kernel 2.6.18-2-686. And I have failed.

I have instaled the linux-image and linux-source packages. But nvidia-instaler could not find the source. I found the source onlu as a tar.bz2 in /usr/src, and promptly unpacked it; but now nvidia-installer complains of not having include/linux/version.h in the souce as it's "probably not configured".

I duly copied the config from /boot into the source, renamed it to ..config, and ran "make oldconfig", this did not resolve the problem.

What can I do now to make the install work right? Whether or not it's "debian way" or "nvidia way" is probably not important.

Yours, Michael Ramendik