Re: pdftk -

Rob Munsch <rmunsch@solutionsforprogress.com> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> The backport should use gcc and gcj from sarge.  If I read the changelog
>> right, the explicit dependency on gcc-4.1 and gcj-4.1 is only to ensure
>> the same versions are used.
>
> Package listing for sarge shows me gcc at version 4:3.3.5-3, which is
> what we got here.
[...]
> Unless i misunderstand completely, it sounds like you're saying it
> depends on gcc-4.1 is to keep it in line with sarge; but sarge is
> still on the 3.x branch.

No, I'm saying that from this changelog entry:

pdftk (1.12-11) unstable; urgency=low

  * Mixing different versions of g++ and gcj does not work, explicitely
    use gcj-4.1 and g++-4.1.

I read that there were problems with different versions of these
packages being installed, and used during build, and that the explicit
dependency was added to avoid that.  I think that it should also work if
both are -4.0, or 3.3.

>> it still FTBFS in sarge.  I haven't tried to build in a sarge-backports
>> environment, though.
>
> Weird - it built for me, and AFAIK no one's had problems with it yet.
> The only oddity was this warning:
>
> eport.o(.text+0x1888): In function
> `ReplaceXmp(com::lowagie::text::pdf::PdfReader*, std::basic_string<char,
> std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
> : warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
>
> but it built just fine and seems to run.

I assume you've tried a different patch than I have?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)