Re: Refresh of debhelper?

Mark Paulus <mark.paulus@verizonbusiness.com> wrote:

> martin f krafft wrote:
>> also sprach Mark Paulus <mark.paulus@verizonbusiness.com> [2006.11.13.1536 +0100]:
>>> Would it be possible to get a refresh of debhelper, since testing
>>> is now on 5.0.40, and backports is only on 5.0.34?
>>
>> What for?
>>

> I have 2 mythtv boxes, that use the ivtv driver set.  There are sid
> level packages for ivtv maintained at http://www.hellion.org.uk.  I
> have updated one of my boxes to linux-image-2.6.18-2-k7, which
> requires that I run ivtv0.8, and the ivtv0.8 debian packages have a
> dependency on debhelper >= 5.0.37.  I can fix by editing
> debian/control, but I was wondering if it would be ok to get debhelper
> updated instead.

Well, the question is *why* they have this dependency.  Probably it's
this:

debhelper (5.0.37) unstable; urgency=low

  * dh_installmodules: depmod -a is no longer run during boot, so if a module
    package is installed for a kernel other than the running kernel, just
    running depmod -a in the postinst is no longer sufficient. Instead, run
    depmod -a -F /boot/System.map-<kvers> <kvers>
    The kernel version is guessed at based on the path to the modules in the
    package. Closes: #301424

After that, it's just Python stuff.  Maybe a backport of 5.0.37 should
be uploaded?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster