Re: Backport building against library with ~ in versioning

Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Today I was about updating the mc backport, but I experienced a small problem.
> I have to build the mc backport against libslang2-dev from bpo and after
> installing it and building the mc backport, the control file in the binary
> package says:
>
> Dependency: bla..., libslang2 (>= 2.0.6-3)
>
> The installed version of libslang2-dev is: 2.0.6-3~bpo.1
>
> This of course leads to an uninstallable mc backport, because it requires a
> version which is neither in sarge nor on bpo.
>
> Did anyone experience the same or am i missing anything?

I think this is an error in the backported libslang2 (and probably in
the testing package as well).  I haven't inspected the sources, but I
guess it uses something like

dh_makeshlibs -V 'libslang2 (>= 2.0.6-3)'

in debian/rules. This of course would have to be changed to the
backports version.  However, I guess it doesn't make much sense to put a
Debian revision in the library version dependency.  Therefore this might
in fact also be a (minor) bug in the testing package.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)