Backport building against library with ~ in versioning

Hi

Today I was about updating the mc backport, but I experienced a small problem.
I have to build the mc backport against libslang2-dev from bpo and after
installing it and building the mc backport, the control file in the binary
package says:

Dependency: bla..., libslang2 (>= 2.0.6-3)

The installed version of libslang2-dev is: 2.0.6-3~bpo.1

This of course leads to an uninstallable mc backport, because it requires a
version which is neither in sarge nor on bpo.

Did anyone experience the same or am i missing anything?

Cheers
Steffen