Re: PostgreSQL v8.1 on Sarge v3.0 problem #2

I've changed pin for backports to 699.

Ran the apt-get after adding postgresql-common to apt preferences file as suggested and still received the same error messages as per my first email. Failed on second suggestion as well.   :-(

On 8/25/06, Anthony DeRobertis <aderobertis@metrics.net > wrote:
Jason Tan Boon Teck wrote:

> # apt-get install postgresql-8.1
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Depencency Tree... Done
> Sorry, postgresql-8.1 is already the newest version.
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   postgresql-8.1: Depends: postgresql-common (>= 39) but it is not
> going to be installed.
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).

Add postgresql-common to your apt preferences file, or try:

apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql-8.1

> How do I troubleshoot this?
>
> preferences content:
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=sarge-backports
> Pin-Priority: 999

You don't want to do that. Backports should not be pinned higher than
stable!

> This server has no X-windows, so I had to retype the above output. Is
> there a way to copy and paste these in BASH, into a text file?

The script command or, even better, screen. Script is installed on every
Debian system; you may need to install screen.

--
Jason Tan Boon Teck
jasontn@gmail.com