PostgreSQL v8.1 on Sarge v3.0 problem #2

Hi,

My earlier attempt was on a fresh Sarge install and was thus less problematic.

I'm now trying to install PostgreSQL v8.1 onto a Sarge v3.0 server with an EXISTING PostgreSQL v7.4. I ran the apt-get install but failed, and it asked me to
 dpkg -P postgresql postgresql-client

I did that and it removed the old version. Then I tried to install v8.1 again. But now it refused to install.

# apt-get install postgresql-8.1
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Depencency Tree... Done
Sorry, postgresql-8.1 is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  postgresql-8.1: Depends: postgresql-common (>= 39) but it is not going to be installed.
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Depencency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies ... Done
  postgresql-common
  postgresql-common
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 422 not upgraded.
7 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/91.1kB of archives. After unpacking 422kB will be used.
Do you want to continue> [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
postgresql-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 1
(Reading database ... 53889 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql-common (from .../postgresql-common-57bpo1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql-common-57bpo1_all.deb (--unpack):
  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql-common-57bpo1_all.deb

How do I troubleshoot this?

preferences content:
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 999

This server has no X-windows, so I had to retype the above output. Is there a way to copy and paste these in BASH, into a text file?

Many thanks,

jason

--
Jason Tan Boon Teck