Re: Problems with bacula backport?

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

Second, bacula-director-pgsql seems to be missing a dependency of dbconfig-common:

Well, my previous message to the list was wrong, it does have that dependency. But there are problems:

That dependency is on dbconfig-common (>= 1.8.14). According to my apt-cache policy, backports.org only has 1.8.11bpo1. In other words, that dependency is only satisfiable in unstable/testing. But, that's a minor problem compared to...

The postrm script. Policy says "note, however, that the |postrm| cannot rely on any non-essential packages to be present during the purge phase." And policy means it. Let's find out why:

   # dpkg --remove bacula-director-pgsql
   dpkg: error processing bacula-director-pgsql (--remove):
    Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
    reinstall it before attempting a removal.
    bacula-director-pgsq

But, alas, when we try and reinstall it, dpkg runs the old package's prerm. Which fails. Then it runs the new one's. That fails to. Then it runs the new one's with and abort- argument. That fails also. So, the package is still half-installed.

I bet this problem is in unstable, too.